Friday, November 28, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving

Our Thanksgiving tradition is for my parents to have the "Fitch side" over for the day. We can have 35-50 people on any given year. A few months ago, my Mom asked Jodi and I what we would think if they went out to Becky & Genji's for Thanksgiving. After taking a few minutes to recover from the shock of the thought of change (I had to take a few deep breaths), we agreed that they should go and then decided that we would host Thanksgiving as usual at their house even if they weren't there.

With the next generation in charge for the first time we thought we should try something new. Chuck thought it would be fun to try deep frying the turkeys this year. We borrowed 2 fryers and tried not to burn the house down.

My favorite quote from Chuck came as he was starting to clean the first turkey. He cut the bag open and said "I have no idea what I'm doing, ya know." This caused us to call his Mom and get a quick lesson in turkey cleaning.

Our job was to cook 2 turkeys and provide a side dish or two, then everyone else that comes brings lots of other things. We had 40 people yesterday and it all went very smooth and dinner went off without a hitch. We were starting to get a big head about how well we had done and that we were as good as Mom when we realized it only took 5 1/2 of us to do the job that Mom & Dad usually do. We did good, but we sure appreciate it when Mom is home to run the show (and all we have to do is eat).

Here is a look at our day...




Jess got the job of carving one of the turkeys and she did great.

Pulling out the second bird.

This is the 1/2 helper that I refered to earlier.

This is our main food table...

...and here are the desserts.


Cooper is ready!

We hope you all enjoyed your Thanksgiving day

1 comment:

une autre mère said...

Wow! Looks like you had quite the feast! I'm impressed that you pulled it off so well. By the way, I can't believe how much Jess is looking like her mother! She's grown up so much!